Friday, June 22, 2007

Dr. Julia Hare

I got an email with a link to youtube this morning that angered me. Why? Well it was a video of Dr. Hare giving a talk at Tavis Smiley's The State of the Black Union Conference this year. I was livid. I had never even heard of such an event, let alone hear of the things that were said. Dr. Julia WHO? Never heard of her. And when I did my research to find out who this woman, who spoke so profoundly on the issues concerning Black children in today's society, I learned that this woman is an educator. WHY haven't I heard of her? WHY isn't she a mainstay in my doctoral class discussions? WHY haven't I heard of DR.JULIA HARE? Why when I was learning history was her name never mentioned? WHy aren't her books a part of my curriculum? WHY wasn't this conference publicized in a way that I could hear more about it? I am ANGRY! When Black America does something positive, it is left to word of mouth! WHY? I am livid. So I have made it my duty to make myself more aware. I have thought so many times of how I could've known about Smiley's event on CSPAN if I didn't check the listings on a daily basis and I found this website: http://www.covenantwithblackamerica.com and I will commit myself to combing through the site and keeping myself informed while fighting to keep Plymouth damn rock off me! We MUST arm ourselves with knowledge or we and the cause/struggle will die.

No comments: